Friday, November 4, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Granola


A couple of days ago I decided to make some pumpkin spice granola on a whim, after seeing a recipe for it on one of my favorite blogs, Two Peas & Their Pod. This granola is amazing. This granola is life-changing. Every time I eat it I declare "I will never buy cereal/granola again!" (and Justin and Porter roll their eyes :)) I love it with milk or on top of plain greek yogurt for breakfast. (I bet it is amazing on ice cream!) Anyway, it is so easy, makes your house smell amazing, and is so much less expensive than buying granola! (plus it tastes 20x better!)



I changed the recipe a bit from the original and am happy with my changes. The granola is so versatile-I can't wait to try new combinations! (I'm thinking apple-maple, orange-pecan, and chocolate-peanut butter) Make this pumpkin granola this weekend and you won't be disappointed!


Pumpkin Spice Granola
Photos and adapted recipe by Jill Chall
Original recipe by Two Peas & Their Pod

5 c oats
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground ginger
3/4 t salt
3/4 c brown sugar
2/3 c pumpkin puree
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c pure maple syrup (not aunt jemima ;0))
1 t vanilla extract
1 c almonds, coarsely chopped
2 c walnuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 325. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray one with Pam. In a large bowl, combine oats, spices, salt, and nuts. In a separate bowl whisk together sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into the oat mixture and stir until combined. The mixture will be moist. Evenly spread onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, stir, and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Let cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment