Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fall + Homemade (Crockpot!) Apple Butter

Ok, so there is something you should know about me. I. Love. Fall. Something about the way the air smells (and the kitchen!) is just plain comforting. This fall I made apple butter for the first time after buying too many pounds of apples from a local farm. It was so incredibly easy because I used one of my favorite cooking tools of all time-my crockpot! To say the crockpot is a mama's best friend is an understatement! I even employed the help of my older son-I'm just fine with child labor in the kitchen :0) He had a great time cutting apples with a blunt butter knife. It was a great project for a rainy fall day!
I swear Porter had fun, he is just intense about cutting his apples :0)

This apple butter makes your house smell amazing and makes a great holiday or hostess gift! I stored mine in mason jars-don't mason jars just make you smile? Make some apple butter this fall-you won't be disappointed!

Homemade Crockpot Apple Butter
adapted recipe and photo by Jill Chall
original recipe by Sweet and Savory by Sarah

15 whole small/medium apples (or enough apples to fill the crockpot) I used a mix of gala, winesap, and golden delicious
1 T vanilla extract
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c white sugar
1 T cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t ground cloves

Peel and dice your apples and throw them in your crockpot. Add vanilla and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Stir every now and then to check on the apples. Once the apples have completely cooked down, add the sugars and spices. Cook on low for another 4 hours. Store and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. (You can also freeze individual servings in an ice cube tray!) Enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment