Monday, November 7, 2011

Black Bean Soup

This past weekend I made a huge pot of black bean soup. It was the right thing to do-it was freezing cold and there was football on TV. What other choice did I have? This is seriously the best black bean soup I have ever had, which could have something to do with the 10 slices of bacon and the whole bunch of cilantro in it. :0)
I served it with mini cornbread muffins (which I will post about later this week!), sour cream, and shredded monteray jack cheese. For my non-soup-eating husband (I know! How can you not eat soup?!), I made some chicken quesadillas. Make a big ole pot of this soup and invite some friends over to share! (or throw a couple servings in the freezer like me-instant dinner!) Either way, your family and your belly will thank you!
Black Bean Soup
Photos by Jill Chall
Recipe by Dave Lieberman (Food Network)


10 slices bacon, finely chopped
2 medium onions, chopped (2-2 1/2 c)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can of low sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
2 T ketchup
2 t worcestershire sauce
1 T chili powder
4 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, drained
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, washed and chopped
Juice of half a lime
Garnishes-scallions, sour cream, shredded cheese


Brown bacon over medium heat 5-6 minutes until  fairly crisp. Stir in onions and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, chili powder, and beans. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low so the soup is simmering. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add chopped cilantro and lime juice. Remove from heat and serve with garnishes. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm definitely making this soon :) I love soup! And luckily so does Dave lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! It's so good-I'm savoring my leftovers :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Aunt Teresa and Sarah! We made this last night and it was so good! Everyone loved it. Black beans are one of our favorites so we're definitely keeping this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you guys enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete